Saturday, May 7, 2011

Wrong Turn

Oh, blast! That was my exit. It's okay, I'll just get off down here and get back on track. Good thing I know so many ways to get home.

Union - is that Jenni's exit or is that the next one? Just get off. If it's not Jenni's I can fix it later.

Nope, definitely not Jenni's. That's okay. Just take the left and follow it around the corner and the freeway should be... hmmm. Well I don't see the freeway anywhere, but this is the right direction so it has to intersect with something I'm familiar with at some point. Let's just take it and see where it leads. It feels right...

Wait, I know this place.

Flashback:

1 February 2011

Cars drive through the same intersection and pull into the cemetery on the corner. People get out and gather around a family and a coffin. It is a cold morning, yet they stand still and quiet as tears trickle down their cheeks. A prayer is offered, people take photos and say goodbye before piling back into their cars and driving away.

Zoom in on the coffin.

Grandma.


Grandma.

Breathe.

Turn around.

This has to be where she is buried. I remember the cars and the coffin right here. I'm glad I brought a jacket because this rain and wind are going to be freezing.

Hi, Grandma. I miss you. So does everyone else. It's been really hard these last few weeks remembering that you're not here anymore. You're in my dreams. I really miss you, Grandma.

Rain mixes with tears as I stand drenched at my Grandmother's grave, not sure what brought me here or why, but grateful nonetheless to have a moment alone with Grandma Bishop. I miss her.

Goodnight, dear void.

2 comments:

  1. I cried when I read this.

    I miss her, too. I think we all do. She was, and always will be, one of the most amazing people in the world.

    I have no doubt Christ welcomed her with loving arms.

    And she'll be there for us when we pass on.

    I love you too, Grandma. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful wrong turn! Isn't it amazing how Heavenly Father can make the wrong turns in our life right? Those wrong turns strengthen us.

    But, not all wrong turns can bring us a special moment with Grandma. This one did. What a treasured tender mercy this wrong turn will be.

    ReplyDelete