Wednesday, April 7, 2010

You Probably Think This Song is About You

Today I woke up after sleeping for 13 hours and looked up my old middle school, high school, and elementary
teachers. They are all still working in the same schools in mostly the same job positions as
they were when I had them as teachers. That is so quaint to me. I love that they all still exist
in the same little world of District 428 in DeKalb, Illinois. I love that. My theater Professer
often talks about how everyone is the protagonist of their own story, even though in a given
viewpoint they may look small and insignificant. All of my teachers from Mrs. Larsen
in Kindergarton to Mr. Lapeyre in Junior Humanities are the main characters in their own life stories,
while they weren't anything huge in mine.

When I moved to Hong Kong in 2007, my whole life
changed and my world shifted. At times I feel like it changed so dramatically that nothing should
still exist of my old life. And yet, it goes on. Without me. As if nothing had ever changed at all.
Because for them, nothing did change. A student they taught for one year, who wasn't really memorable
beyond her being exceptionally loud and mormon, moved to Hong Kong probably without them even
knowing. And her life changed as a result. What was to change for them?

Quaint. And lovely. The world
functions without me. Weird. I've always known I was vain, but after this morning's realizations,
I feel like maybe it's time again for me to start praying for humility... or maybe it's time for
another hair cut...

Goodnight, dear void.

1 comment:

  1. A new hair cut, definitely :)

    And...I'd be interested to see where my teachers are at...

    ReplyDelete